"A man not old, but mellow, like good wine" by Stephen Phillips

There's nothing serious in mortality.
All is but toys; renown and grace is dead,
The wine of life is drawn, and the mere lees
Is left this vault to brag of.
William Shakespeare (1564-1616)
Macbeth, II. iii. (100)

I am thinking of writing about wines. Why?

There this heady and acrimonious feeling that I seem to be wanting to drown with a glass of wine. But I don't really drink. Not even socially. But learning recently, that a SINGLE glass of wine taken twice or thrice a week may be able to improve the performance of the heart's arteries made me stop and give wine drinking a more appreciative look.

Despite some bad news in our family's midst, I need to do a post. Okey. I shall write about wine and food.

His element is so fine
Being sharpened by his death,
To drink from the wine-breath
While our gross palates drink from the whole wine.
W.B.Yeats (1865-1939)
All Souls' Night


I found out from my online travels that deciding which wine to serve with a particular meal or dish takes a lot of savvy. Particularly to places where wine is part and parcel of each meal, wine should make the food taste better and vice-versa.

Wine drinking considers the occassion. A holiday affair requires wine that is special and festive while an ordinary daily dinner requires a more simple kind.

I am guessing but I think Italian wines go very well with Italian dishes like pasta, salad greens on olive oil, pizza, etc. I suppose wine can also be used to blend to provide harmony between dishes like steaks go with red wine or may just provide contrast as in a tuna steak with lemon-flavored white.

Here are some good wine and food combinations according to some sites I read:

1. sausages, hams and turkeys go best with fine dry rose'
2. beef and steak with pinot noirs, cabernet sauvignon, merlots, zinfandels
3. lamb, game and cheeses with bordeax, cabernet sauvignon, burgundies and other intense reds
4. chicken, veal, pork and mild cheeses with chianti, beaujolais, pinot noir or white such as chardonnay, rieslings
5.fish like salmon go well light red or dry rose'; shellfish best with muscadet; lobster with chardonnay or white burgundy
6.for aperitifs, best are champagne, sparkling wine, california, macon, dry sherry
and for
7. desserts must go with reislings and muscats which are fine and sweet wines.

Okey now I am very DRUNK :-) I can now be un-depressed :-(

Days of wine and roses laugh and run away,
Like a child at play.
Johnny Mercer (1909-1976)
Days of Wine and Roses


CHEERS!

By the way, I have an earlier post draft which subject is about 'what we must look for in wine labels'.

Research is not enough.

Popular posts from this blog

Tora Bika Cappuccino

MSG in most coffee blends?

Pininyahang Manok cooked Marikina style