Skip to main content


Showing posts from March 21, 2008

Care to try Barac -O, Sorry not the Candidate

Certainly, not Mr. Barack Obama. I am talking about our own coffee variety called barako. Four excellent-tasting varieties of coffee are grown in the Philippines . The ‘robusta,’ comprise 90% of total coffee production. Robusta serves as the main ingredient for the local instant coffee products. The ‘arabica,’ ‘excelsa,’ and ‘liberica’ or the Philippine barako'' make up the remaining 10% of total output. Barako coffee beans are largely known for their strong aroma. Many claim that it is better tasting than arabica. Though I think that is true I find it too strong for my palate. Barako coffee beans are round in shape and large, and grow in clusters. The trees grow to be 18 feet, and possess thick leaves. Liberica because of its strong and acidic flavor do not have many coffee flavor fans but I remember almost 40 years ago, I used to buy ‘barako’ coffee from the wet markets. That distinct powerful odor as it was being grinded, overpowered my adolescent sense of smel