Penne with Meatballs how seductive

My cousin was teasing me that she certainly didn't think I cook good. She never really saw me in action, you see. But anyway, on the second day of her visit, I asked her what she wanted for brunch. Would she want food delivered or perhaps, shop from the nearby Riverbanks. She said she wanted to stay put and would I mind preparing something with an Italian flair? Hur hur! What I have I said, is 500gms Colavita penne rigate on my cupboard, some meatballs and some commercial parmesan cheese in the fridge.

And so the decision was made, we were having penne with meatballs.

The meatball recipe

1/2 kilo lean beef
1/2 cup commercially prepared parmesan cheese (grainy form)
3 tbsp tomato paste
1 egg beaten
1 tbsp salt

2 tbsps freshly milled pepper
2 tbsps chopped fresh parsley
vegetable cooking oil

In a glass bowl, combine everything and then form mixture into balls. Deep fry in vegetable oil. Set aside.

Penne with Meatballs

500 gms penne
parmesan cheese
2 tbsps chopped fresh parsley
3 tbsps tomato paste
30 gms unsalted butter
1 onion chopped very fine
2 tsps dried basil

1 tsp dried oregano
500 gms commercially prepared tomato sauce
1 cup beef or chicken stock
1 cup red wine
1 tsp muscuvado sugar

In a large wok, melt butter over low fire. Saute onion, basil, and oregano, stir for 2 minutes. Add in tomato sauce and tomato paste, stock, wine and sugar. Add some of the balls, and the rest, set aside for garnish. Simmer and stir until saucy and thick.

While the sauce is being done, penne is already in boiling water. Add salt and wait until pasta is done (about 12-15 minutes). Drain and serve as a bed for the meatballs and sauce. Garnish with parsley and drizzle with parmesan.

By the time I finished cooking, she was more than ready to dig into the penne with a glass of asti spumante.

Popular posts from this blog

Tora Bika Cappuccino

MSG in most coffee blends?

Pininyahang Manok cooked Marikina style